Tuesday, May 10, 2011

My Fridge and Pantry

I've gotten a lot of questions over the years about what I do to stay in shape.  Interestingly, I haven't gotten so many questions about what I eat.  I find this interesting because diet is the most important thing.  It outweighs fitness by a large margin, and most people don't seem to understand this.  There are reasons why body builders stuff their body with protein and marathon runners slurp down gel packs instead of big macs when they're running. 

I was watching a documentary about Dean Karnazes who is one of the worlds top ultramarathon runners and found his normal diet vs. his race day diet interesting.  Day by day he essentially lived on a Paleolithic Diet of fish, lean meat, vegetables, roots, nuts, fruit, and excludes grains, legumes, and dairy products.  However, in race day you could seem him scarf down a few pizzas on a 150 mile run.  The reason for the drastic change is that the foods on race day are highly processed and easily broken down by the body.  He said to consume Paleolithic food on the run would cause gas, bloating, and discomfort since it generally lacked easily processed carbohydrates.  One of his races he consumed a whopping 26,000 calories.  As you can imagine, trying to eat 26,000 calories worth of meats and vegetables while running would leave a normal person in pain.  Furthermore, trying to eat 26,000 calories clean is almost impossible.  Yet, I can scarf down a Honey Bun for an easy 600 calories a piece mmmmm.  Shoot, I'd probably throw up.

Hopefully, the above is a decent explanation why diet feeds physical fitness and not the other way around.  So... on to what you will find in my fridge:

- Pickles (Claussens mmmmm)
- Eggs (Regular and Hard Boiled)
- Turkey
- Chicken
- Shrimp
- Mixed vegetables
- Frozen fruit (For Smoothies)
- Salad
- Almond Milk (I'm Lactose Intolerant ... ya ... go ahead an laugh lucky)
- Bison Meat (High Protein, No added hormones, all natural, low fat) 
      Note: Bison meat is one of the best things ever.  I would eat a lot more if it wasn't so expensive.

In my pantry you will find:

- Oatmeal (The one that comes in the tub and isn't highly processed)
- Beef Jerky
- All Natural Peanut Butter
- Honey
- Mixed nuts
- Popcorn
- Lactose free protein powder
- Organic gluten free cereal
- Flat bread
- Potato chips (can't help it)

A standard meal for me would be something like mixed vegetables with shrimp, toss in some mixed nuts, maybe a pickle, a glass of water, and a protein shake with some frozen fruit and peanut butter.

Feel free to ask me any questions.  I'm not an expert on nutrition but, I think I have a decent understanding of things.

No comments:

Post a Comment