Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Vibram Five Finger KSO Review

So I bought a pair of these the other day at REI:

















I went for a mile and a half in these new shoes... not sure if thats the right term for them. The reason I got these shoes is because I thought I was getting compartment syndrome along the Peroneus Longus muscle (outer calve muscle) and thought it might help with that. Furthermore, I pound my heel on the ground when I walk (from ROTC and marching) and I figured the shoes would help train myself to walk more evenly. Overall, I believe I have poor running technique and think the shoes will help drastically.

Now, on to what I noticed while running. I had a preconceived notion that I would have to consciously think about running on the balls of my feet with these things on my first run... especially considering my strong heel strike when walking. That was not the case at all. Immediately as I started running, I noticed that I ever so slightly was contacting the ground with the balls of my feet instead of my heel. I didn't expect that at all. Furthermore, the effort required to run seemed reduced. I think this is a combination between lighter footwear and more efficient energy usage. What I mean by the latter, is that energy is being stored in the leg muscles, ligaments, and tendons as the foot strikes the ground instead of absorbed by the skeletal structure of your body. Then, that ground impact energy is reused as you propell yourself forward. Which in turn, reduces the energy required for each step allowing you to go longer and faster with less effort.

During the run I did notice blisters starting to form on both my large toes. I don't see this as a negative since I expected it. After a few treks I will have calyces and blisters will be a nonissue. On a side note, I knowingly bought these shoes one size larger. I think I'm going to go back and get a size smaller. I just think they will function a little better that way.

After the run I did notice that my calf muscles were sore. However, it's not like the soreness you get from doing calf presses at the gym. It is more like the pain you get in the inner forearm from doing rock climbing. I don't think I can explain it any other way... the pain is just different.

The most important part of all this, I didn't feel any knee pain or compartment syndrome pain. My magic eight ball says, "Outlook looks good."

This is a very interesting video...




... I didn't know quadrupeds couldn't pant and gallop at the same time.

No comments:

Post a Comment